Sunday, September 17, 2006

Hand-Me-Downs

Pet Safari in Eastpoint Shopping Mall
Last count, we now have 21 hamsters and counting...

Yes, they are breeding like there is no tomorrow!

The population explosion is beyond what we can cope... "Oh, they breed almost every month..." was the response I got when I told the sales person at Pet Safari about the babies arrival.

Yikes! Now they tell us.

It started out as a class project as I said before, which made our son wanted one as a reward when he did well in his final year examination.

These little creatures were all so adorable when we had two of them - a male and a female, when our son wanted for passing his final examinations last year.

Yes, we thought it was a great gift idea for our son on responsibility too. Now we are responsible for building a "Hamster City" right in our home.

Block 38 Bedok South as our landmark
Wonder if it would be cruel if the male is neutered?
Would it be possible? Has anyone ever done this before...?

Need to research on this. Gut feeling... it is a stupid thought.

Anyway... this afternoon, my son and I headed-off to his friend's house in Sennett Place for hand-me-down hamster cages.

My son's friend was a nice boy, and his mother was thoughtful enough to give away an unopened pack of pine-shavings they had for their long dead hamsters.

Quite worn-off and rusted here and there, but the gesture was very, very nice indeed.

I was afraid that the rust will make the hamsters sick, so since we were heading to Pet Safari at Eastpoint in Simei, I bought two sets of cages.

Bedok South hilly path to Sennett Place
I was looking for a cage that was cheap enough but large enough for mother and babies to be in comfortably. It would also be ideal enough as give-aways when we find suitable and caring people to adopt them.

The best I could find there cost S$26.88 each, before less 10% with the member card. I bought two sets.

One, for Julie, the expectant mother to be who had her twins barely a month ago. And another for Princess who is stuck in a plastic Terrarium that was used for Awang, our Red-eared Slider terrapin.

Yes, the sales person was right! Babies born about every month. Yikes! Double yikes!

Nonetheless, all are dear to us. Each one has its own character when we watch them and interact with them. A Wify puts it they are "oh... so cute," while pouting her lips whenever she hold one in the palm of her hand.

I agree, and we am quite fond of each one of them. It is quite hard and sad to give them away, but I start to feel an infestation of "cute little rodents" in our home and its over-whelming just trying to cope with the baby-boom... every month.

One healthy sex life, I must say. Oops! I said the "S" word. My first.

Put only males or only females, and they will fight with one another. Put the two genders together and they will multiply exponential.

So, with good and comfortable cages, coupled with caring families who are willing to take them in, slowly but surely, we have no choice but to give them away for adoption. It is the only solution.

Our son came out with the idea of have photos of each of them before we send them off for adoption. He already created "Birth Certificates" of each one of them.

With a passport-sized photo to fit into each certificate, the name and the family-tree, this should be an interesting project for us. I am asked to take photos. Its his way of saying good-bye to each of them and remember them still.

Wish these beautiful creatures will have good families to love and care for them.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ellen,

    Thanks for visiting this already crowded house.

    The same day you wrote is the same day another 7 litters joined our family!

    That made the whole Hamster City population to 33! Yikes!

    You are right. I cannot put this off any longer. I have to find out if there is such a thing as neutering a hamster!

    They are expanding faster than I can find adoptive families!

    Thanks for the luck. Looks like we are going to need it more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got here much interesting stuff. The post is great! Thanks for sharing it! Lutein Supplement Singapore

    ReplyDelete

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for stopping by and leaving me your messages. I will also try to answer any questions you may have for me.

Thanks again and have a good day.

Regards,
Muhd Imran
PAL Blogger