Saturday, August 26, 2006

Mom's 8th Physiotherapy

Woodlands August Bazaar & Night Market
My cell phone alarm went off yesterday reminding me of Mom's physiotherapy appointment this morning at 9:15am. As usual at Tan Tock Seng Hospital Medical Centre B1.

Getting a cab is a breeze nowadays, since the fare raise. Having a bad reputation with punctuality, I am certain I can no longer use the "could not get a cab" or "no-cab-in-sight" excuse anymore, even if it was true.

The cabs are cruising empty almost everywhere I looked. Hard times for the cab drivers, but that is another story to be heard and told.

As usual, fetched both my parents at the same spot.

Mom looked particularly fresh and energetic, while Dad was kind of sleepy. They had a good day shopping with elder Sis yesterday. Good for them, they get to go out of the house.

We reached the hospital 10 minutes late, but we did not have to wait long when our queue number 0021 was called 5 minutes after we sat at the waiting area.

There Mom's Physiotherapist Ms Fong Lin was waiting with a smile as usual.

It was a proud moment for Mom when she stopped Dad pushing the wheelchair halfway and walked. She walked effortlessly with a straight posture and quick paced.

Tan Tock Seng Hospital Medical Centre
Ms Fong Lin was so impressed with her recovery. I know I was too. Dad just smiled. They did not say anything on our way to the hospital. I was indeed a pleasant surprise for me. All those trips to the therapy really bare fruition today.

She wanted to show the therapist that she has been exercising as advised and improved her condition tremendously.

The usual checks, and questions from Ms Fong Lin as she checked movements of Mom's legs, but unlike other sessions, she was not felling any sudden sharp pain anymore.

Mom was delighted, Ms Fong Lin was too. She told me she was giving an "open date" for Mom's next therapy. I told Ms Fong Lin to look at Mom's face when I told her the news.

As expected, a wide smile of relief was carved across Mom's face when she heard the news. Everyone smiled.

The moment was like a success story as the camera zoomed out and faded out.

The rest of the exercises, Mom did with zest. The last traction for year 2006 was in prone position. She hated it but persevered. I could see her face with great determination.

The attending nurse Ms Doreen was her usual chirpy self kept congratulating Mom for her quick recovery. A success story indeed today.

Novena Square Shopping MallOf course all success stories need maintenance. Mom has to keep exercising as she has been doing at home to keep those muscles and joints healthy.

For old time sake, we had our brunch at TTSH Kopi Tiam. Both Mom and Dad had their old time favourite Yong Tau Foo while I just could not pass-off the yummy Penang Laksa.

We chatted long with our cup of coffee afterwards way passed lunch. I guess were were all in a happy mood.

To celebrate, we went... shopping! Singapore's favourite past time.

Walked across the road to Novena Square where Mom got her new watch strap adjusted at City And Chain. Both Dad and Mom were given matching watches by their grandchildren for their 58th wedding anniversary.

Stopped by Bata for Mom's new shoes. Dad was in a buying mood for Mom.

Then off we went to Causeway Point Shopping Mall; Mom's favourite shopping Mall near their home.

We took the MRT instead of the cab as usual from the hospital. Novena to Woodlands - 10 stations in all within half an hour. The journey was spent just talking. A fare of less than S$5.00 for all 3 of us as oppose to S$15.00 for a cab ride.

Did some window shopping at Causeway Point, had afternoon tea at MacDonald's. I got myself a S$2.00 brown leather belt.

Then off we went to the Bazaar outside the Mall for snacks and take-home dinners.

Sent them home and did some catching-up reading the Berita Harian past few days' issues while Mom and Dad insisted to cook my son's favourite dessert - Serawa Durian; good eaten with white bread or glutinous rice.

Punggol River view along Tampines ExpresswayLeft their home just after 5:00pm and get myself some "alone-time" during my 40 minutes journey home on board Service 168 from Woodlands Regional Bus Interchange back to Tampines Avenue 9.

I was ecstatic throughout the journey knowing that both Mom and Dad are now healthy and back to their happy selves again.

Life is good. Life is beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for stopping by and leaving me your messages. I will also try to answer any questions you may have for me.

Thanks again and have a good day.

Regards,
Muhd Imran
PAL Blogger