I like because it is Chinese New Year:
- The minimum guarantee of 2 days off work. This year, a long weekend of 4 days is here!
- Mandarin Oranges are in season! My favourite fruit... Lukan, Swatou, Pakistani... fibre!
- The shops are closed for celebration. I get my Wifey back with me!
- Family outings and activities... camping at the beach, visit the zoo, short trip overseas?!
- Good shows on TV and Cable... armed with new DVDs for indoors.
I hate just because it is Chinese New Year:
- Most shops, shopping malls & coffee shops are closed for days at a stretch.
- Virtually no green vegetables left on the supermarket shelves.
- The tough time to get cabs and longer bus waits.
- The incessant clacking of Mahjong's gambling-neighbours late into the night, days on end.
- The extra work to cover for Chinese friends during their celebrations, only for them to take medical leaves after the celebrations. Sigh.
You just cannot help it since 60% of Singaporeans are Chinese, the prime movers of the economy... life slows down to a crawl when most take a break for about a week. Well, they deserve the break anyway.
When you cannot fight them, you just have to join them... time to execute my extra-curricular activities and have fun!