Saturday, June 02, 2007

Widgets Do Wonders


Thanks to iMac widgets, I finally get answers to a long time question... 11 years long that is.

Every night, I look out my bedroom window to the night sky. The moon, the few stars and planets that are visible under the bright island city... even lesser without my glasses.

All this time, I thought the single largest bright dot in the night sky was the International Space Station. So thought because it is always the largest, non flickering dot in the sky that may be the only one out on any night.


I even wrote it several times in my old blog about it. I was totally wrong. Thanks to the wizard... I mean, the widget from Starry Night for iMac that confirms so.

I just had to pin-point my location on earth, which is not as difficult as it sounds. I just had to located Singapore in the world map and then tweaked both the latitude and longitude a little to get the nearest to my home.

It located my place as near Bedok... close enough.


With that, I direct it to look to the East, where my bedroom window is facing... and viola! The exact whereabouts of whatever little dots, bright and faint matches the actual view out my window at the same time!

How wonderful it that. How wonderful it is to tell me that that bright dot is Jupiter. Ahh... make sense, since it is the largest most, visible object in our night sky after the moon.

Yesterday was the second full moon in a month, a once in a blue moon... which puts one of my many trivial life's questions to rest at this age. Kind of a little too old to be learning such facts, I know... but I am a very slow learner. Nonetheless I get it eventually.

Now, where is Mars? A Job for Starry Night...

6 comments:

  1. I love stars and things like that. I have a telescope, but I don't use it that often. I am one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pal you've tagged. See my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've made me smile with this post Imran. I'm glad you've found this fact out...better late than never.
    I'm sure we all have situations like this where we think a certain thing for many years.
    Take me for example, ha,I thought the words to a Christmas Carol were ''Oh what fun it is to

    ReplyDelete
  4. ride on a one horse slope and sleigh''. Words from the carol ''Jingle Bells''.
    It wasn't until I was 28 years old when I got Christmas card one year with the words printed on it, to the carol that I realised my mistake...eeww.
    It is rather ''Oh what fun it is to ride on a one horse open sleigh''
    Gosh, I had such a shock, felt such a fool. Had been singing the wrong lyrics for 28 years...eeekkk.
    It's what makes us human though and it's never too old to learn.
    Hope you have had a good week-end friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is so absolutley awesome. How beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jupiter? cool! Not many people can brag abt having a view like that ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for stopping by and leaving me your messages. I will also try to answer any questions you may have for me.

Thanks again and have a good day.

Regards,
Muhd Imran
PAL Blogger