Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Of Childhood Dreams

My kindergarten school of 2 years at the background.
Photo from National Archives of Singapore


I have always thought of myself as a bit of a day-dreamer since I was small.

The habit never really out-grown me because I sometimes find myself so immersed in that little world of mine, all lost in time but with a smile on my face as I loose track of time here on planet earth.

That may probably explain the "not-so-impressive" grades I have been getting at school... I was not as attentive as I should have been in class except during art class. The thing that I love to do and at least good at.

The thought of creative things at times overtakes me. I can feel the rush of excitement overwhelms me just by thinking about it. Most times these days, that excitement can keep me awake at night. 24 hours a day does not seem to be enough when the creative juices kick in.

This is one of the few "remnants" of my childhood that is still with me today and am thankful for while the rest have faded away through the years... just silly childhood dreams gone unfulfilled in this life time.

Dreams are one thing, but happy times are another. The happiest times I can remember are from my childhood as with many adults I believe. This post is inspired by a dear blogger friend, Sis*Star Kylita with her Ten Childhood Memories list.

Below is my list of ten from the many endless happy times in my childhood that I still remember. Reminiscing it alone carves a big smile on my face...
  1. Daydream on my favourite water-apple tree.
  2. Swimming in flood water in my village during heavy rain.
  3. Playing firecrackers during Ramadan month.
  4. Playing kampung games with the village friends.
  5. Rescue and adopt kittens off the streets.
  6. Climbing and picking fruits off guava trees.
  7. Family picnics at Changi Beach.
  8. Own and care for chicks I bought with my own money.
  9. Going home from school on a trishaw.
  10. Eating satay bought from the traveling hawker.
Wish I have photos of my own to refresh these fading memories... What are yours?

4 comments:

  1. I've always been a daydreamer too; a surprising number of mine have come true. I loved reading these little snippets from your childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful memories!

    Hope all is well
    Love, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO! happy to see you posted this, Muhd. You are the only one who I've noticed that has complied with my wish ;oD ... I was so surprised when I decided to read your blog just now and so pleased to see I inspired you to relive some of your childhood fun times. Bless you richly with many daydreams and creative moments ... it is so obvious to me that you are extremely creative and talented, and your writing is inspired and uses much strength of emotions. I am proud to be your blogger friend.
    Have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is delightful Imran...I wonder what my list would consist of.
    I have a picture of one of the happiest days out at a beach...of my life.
    I could post that and follow it up with the rest...you have inspired me.
    A nick-name of mine was ''Dilly daydream''...ha, as I, like you was a daydreamer...sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for stopping by and leaving me your messages. I will also try to answer any questions you may have for me.

Thanks again and have a good day.

Regards,
Muhd Imran
PAL Blogger